Monday, April 15, 2013

Home Stretch!

So I feel like I am running a marathon and I'm on my last little bit of the race...there's not a whole lot of energy left in me but the end is in sight!  We have a little less than 8 weeks left of school and I know it is going to fly by.  I have recently been struggling with a bit of homesickness but through Him I am overcoming it.  I have to just stay focused on school and my students on not on the fact that I will be vacationing in Montana with my family 2 months from now. I can definitely say I have had a pretty good year considering it has been my first year but I am so ready to be a second year teacher (I heard it gets much easier after the first year)! 

In school, my main focus is shifting towards our spring concert which is the last Friday in May.  I am definitely more confident going into this concert than the Christmas concert.  The students are working really hard and I'm excited to show our community what they can do.  Recently we have also started an introductory after-school activity for our future band program.  We are going to incorporate this into the school-day next year but wanted to start some students now.  Hopefully this will help them to be even more successful with it next year.  Our school is very blessed to have the quality of instruments that we just purchased...so nice!  I definitely have a lot of curriculum for the program to bring back from the states this summer though.  I'm excited to be more involved with band next year and to offer this elective to the kids.

We just came back to school from spring break about a week ago.  I spent a good portion of my break in Seoul, Korea with extended family.  They live on the military base and it definitely felt like I was in America some of the time (oh and I also was able to stock up on some greatly missed items such as Cheetos and Yankee Candles!). We also went to the Demilitarized Zone...talk about scary!!  I even had to sign a waiver that basically is said if I die it's not the Korean governement's fault (really reassuring haha).  I am glad I went though because it was really interesting.   It was also great to see my family and it definitely gave me a little bit of a "family fix".  It was also then that I discovered the show, Duck Dynasty.  HILARIOUS!  We spent many evenings watching it while I was there!

In case any of you are wondering I arrive in the states on June 8th, but I'll be on vacation with my family until the 15th.  I'll be back in Smithville then so if you are going to be around let me know and I'll try to see as many people as I can!  I come back to China on June 30th.  Such a short time!!  I'm hoping to make the most of it though!

Anyways things here are going well, all things considered, and despite my occasional homesickness I am really enjoying my teaching experience here.  I still can't confirm if I'll sign up for another two years when this is over but don't be suprised if I do!  Miss you all and I hope to see you when I am home!!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment