Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I'm HERE!

I've made it to Wuxi!  I arrived late this past Saturday evening and was very tired/jetlagged.  I have had limited internet access so this is why it has taken me so long to post another entry.  My roomate Bethany and I can safely say that we both feel like we have transitioned to the new time zone which is definitely a blessing!  I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff here at the school.  When we arrived at our apartment there were sheets on our beds and food in our fridge.  They met us at the airport and have taken us around Wuxi to show us everything from how to use a bus pass to where to go to get linens. 

It's definitely an adjustment trying to get around and not knowing what anyone around you is saying.  I've also used the phrase "ting bu dong" ("I don't understand") quite often!  I can definitely say I am in the minority now (lots of stares)!  I am enjoying it here though.  Everyone is very nice and our apartment is amazing.  The school has a great atmosphere and I've even met three of my high school students already (who are all three very friendly people).  I can definitely see myself fitting in here at the school and in Wuxi in general.  I'm excited to start learning more of the language so that I can do things like take a taxi and order food by myself. 

This Saturday Bethany and I leave for Suzhou for a training course that will last a week (TEFL).  Prayers and thoughts would be much appreciated as we are very unsure of what to expect.  I'm also trying to settle in as a first year teacher and trying to plan the beginning of my year.  I think it will be stressful which is typical for the first year of teacing but I think it will be a much smoother year at this school than anywhere else that I can think of.  I know that He is with me no matter where I am and will help me become the teacher he has designed me to be. 

Anyways that's about all for now...I'm planning to post another entry while in Suzhou because I will have much more internet access!

(below is one of my personal favorite "Chenglish" signs I've seen)

No comments:

Post a Comment